Duration: 11 April 2016 – 10 April 2019
Budget: EUR 800,000.00
Seven main activities are planned for the cross-border Sotla basin within the framework of work package T2 – Sotla River basin (common tools, models, maps and projects), as follows:
- Developing common tools – collecting data on the Sotla basin
Within this activity, the following are planned: common and coordinated collection of data (hydrological, meteorological, hydrogeographic, terrain, bathymetric, topographic, photographs, etc.), execution of measurements of transverse and longitudinal profiles of the main stream, and agreements on project and other key flow values for better joint flood risk management in the Sotla basin in the future.
- Developing common tools – preparing a common and cross-border coordinated comprehensive flood protection study for the Sotla basin
In the framework of this activity, a joint and cross-border comprehensive flood protection study for the Sotla basin will be developed in cooperation with Slovenian and Croatian institutions competent for water management, which will result in structural and non-structural flood protection measures that need to be implemented in the Sotla basin to reduce the existing flood risk in the long term and prevent the emergence of new flood risk areas.
- Developing common models – developing and upgrading hydraulic models of the Sotla basin
In the framework of this activity, new hydraulic models for the watercourses in the Sotla basin will be developed or the existing ones upgraded; these will be used to prepare comprehensive flood protection studies and flood hazard and flood risk maps.
- Developing common models – developing and upgrading hydrological models for predicting floods in the Sotla basin
Within this activity, a hydrological model of the Sotla basin will be developed and the existing one upgraded, which will be the basis for quality prediction of flood events and timely issue of forecasts, warnings and alerts.
- Developing common maps – preparing flood hazard maps of the Sotla basin
Based on the data collected (hydrology, profiles, etc.) and new and upgraded hydraulic models for the Sotla basin, harmonised flood hazard maps for flood hazard areas in the Sotla basin will be developed.
- Developing common maps – preparing flood risk maps of the Sotla basin
Based on the prepared flood hazard maps and an agreed methodology for presenting flood risks, harmonised flood risk maps of flood areas in the Sotla basin will be developed.
- Preparing project documentation for structural flood prevention measures in the Sotla basin
Within the framework of this activity, the necessary spatial, construction, financial, environmental and other necessary documentation will be prepared, as agreed, verified and harmonised within the comprehensive flood protection study for the Sotla basin, for the implementation of structural flood prevention measures that will actually reduce the existing flood hazard, not only the flood risk.