Duration: 11 April 2016 – 10 April 2019
Budget: EUR 800,000.00
Seven main activities are planned for the cross-border river basin of the Kolpa within the framework of work package T1 – Kolpa River basin (common tools, models, maps and projects), as follows:
- Developing common tools – collecting data on the Kolpa basin
Within this activity, the following are planned: joint and coordinated collection of data (hydrological, meteorological, hydrogeographic, terrain, bathymetric, topographic, photographs, etc.), execution of measurements of transverse and longitudinal profiles of the main stream and agreements on project and other key flow values for better joint flood risk management in the Kolpa River basin in the future.
- Developing common tools – preparing a common and cross-border coordinated comprehensive flood protection study for the Kolpa River basin
In the framework of this activity, a joint and cross-border comprehensive flood protection study for the Kolpa basin will be developed in cooperation with Slovenian and Croatian institutions competent for water management, which will result in structural and non-structural flood protection measures that need to be implemented in the Kolpa basin to reduce the existing flood risk in the long term and prevent the emergence of new flood risk areas.
- Developing common models – developing and upgrading hydraulic models of the Kolpa basin
In the framework of this activity, new hydraulic models for the watercourses in the Kolpa basin will be developed or the existing ones upgraded, and these will be used to prepare comprehensive flood protection studies and flood hazard and flood risk maps.
- Developing common models – Developing and upgrading hydrological models for predicting floods in the Kolpa basin
Within this activity, a hydrological model of the Kolpa basin will be developed and the existing one upgraded, which is the basis for quality prediction of flood events and timely issue of forecasts, warnings and alerts.
- Developing common maps – preparing flood hazard maps of the Kolpa basin
Based on the data collected (hydrology, profiles, etc.) and new and upgraded hydraulic models for the Kolpa basin, harmonised flood hazard maps for flood hazard areas in the Kolpa basin will be developed.
- Developing common maps – preparing flood risk maps of the Kolpa basin
Based on the prepared flood hazard maps and the agreed methodology for presenting flood risks, harmonised flood risk maps of flood areas in the Kolpa basin will be developed.
- Preparing project documentation for structural flood prevention measures in the Kolpa basin
Within the framework of this activity, the necessary spatial, construction, financial, environmental and other necessary documentation will be prepared, as agreed, verified and harmonised within the comprehensive flood protection study for the Kolpa basin, for the implementation of structural flood prevention measures that will actually reduce the existing flood hazard, not only the flood risk.