The National Protection and Rescue Directorate is the central State administration body responsible for civil protection activities. It undertakes administrative and professional tasks referring to: establishment of a protection and rescue system for citizens, material and other assets in disasters; training and professional development of participants in the protection and rescue system; provision of necessary assistance in eliminating consequences in the event of natural disasters, epidemic and other incidents and disasters; civil protection activities; fire fighting activities; alert and notification system and international cooperation in the protection and rescue area. The National Protection and Rescue Directorate also undertakes other activities under its competence in accordance with a special law.
The National Protection and Rescue Directorate is competent for the following activities:
- Coordinates civil protection activities in the Republic of Croatia;
- Analyses, processes and provides information and data on all types of hazards and possible consequences of major emergencies and disasters;
- Establishes and manages the unified alert system in the Republic of Croatia and alerts and notifies the population;
- Receives all types of 112 emergency phone calls, forwards information to competent services, coordinates their interaction and consolidates feedback on activities undertaken;
- Activates operational forces of the civil protection system and coordinates their activities;
- Receives, provides and carries out the transit of emergency humanitarian aid in cooperation with competent bodies of the Republic of Croatia and other countries;
- Trains members of the operational forces of the civil protection system and other participants of the civil protection system;
- Tests equipment and resources for civil protection and submits proposals for adopting Croatian standards in this area.