Meteorological and Hydrological Service of Croatia (DHMZ) is fundamental institution for meteorology, hydrology and air quality monitoring in Croatia, founded by the decree of Government of People’s Republic of Croatia in 1947. The service supports the economic and sustainable development of Croatia and assists in the protection of lives, goods and the environment by providing information on the following: weather, climate, climate variations and changes, water and air. It also issues warnings on severe weather, hydrological and ecological events and climate extremes with the aim of mitigating their consequences in line with WMO recommendations and EU directives.
DHMZ manages the meteorological and hydrological infrastructure, air quality monitoring infrastructure, as well as national archives of meteorological, hydrological and other relevant data.
In the field of hydrology, DHMZ is a legal entity for hydrological data acquisition, data processing, exchange and the dissemination of the hydrological data as well as for river forecast. The aforementioned activities are covered by national legislature (Water Act, DHMZ Act).
DHMZ serves the public and produce meteorological, hydrological and other related information through its activities:
- Construction of infrastructure and measurement systems, as well as planning and maintenance of all kinds of meteorological and hydrological stations and air quality measurement stations
- Development and maintenance of various databases (meteorological, hydrological, air quality)
- Provision of information on meteorology, hydrology and air quality to users (the DHMZ issues warnings and produces analyses, forecasts, studies and surveys). This is achieved through the application of scientific methods and the use of powerful computers and sophisticated software – numerical models
- Applied scientific research and development of methods designed to enhance the quality of information which the DHMZ offers to its users
- Hailstorm defense (operational implementation)
- Calibration of meteorological and air quality instruments.